Team photo courtesy: Galt Museum and Archives

Contact: Trevor Esau at

How to Read the Site:

We have tried to capture the story of the Lethbridge Maple Leafs and provide a site to post stories, documents, links and photos of their incredible journey to the Championship.

To read their great story from the beginning, scroll to the bottom of the site to part 1 and work your way up through the 34 parts (You may have to click on “older posts” at the bottom to get to part 1). Each part is in chronological order and describes a part of the journey and many contain photos (We continue to add new photos to these posts as we get them).

After part 34 we are posting current related activities, stories and photos from the Galt Museum & Archives, Lethbridge Hurricanes, City of Lethbridge and private collections, as they become available. If you have a photo or story contribution for the site we would be happy to post it.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Train Ride Across Canada, Part 11

After the Melville game they returned to Regina to resume their train trip.The train trip was delayed by an accident outside of Regina. The train hit a truck going 55 mph, the truck engine thrown from the vehicle and the truck's driver died. Several players inspected the scene and damage during the delay.

The long days on the train were filled with card tournaments, singing, reading, viewing the Canadian landscape and discussions about the journey they were on. They discussed how their team name "Maple Leafs" was very fitting as they represented the Dominion of Canada. It was close to Christmas and they were homesick at times.

At Winnipeg, Manitoba, they were interviewed by a sports reporter in the rail station. While at Ottawa, Ontario they received a telegram from Lethbridge with $50.00 as a Christmas gift. It is about 2,177 miles from  Lethbridge to Montreal. They had a 3 hour stop over in Montreal. Here Christmas was in the air and they shopped, observed Christmas decorations and a large Christmas tree. They still had 1,000 miles to go to Halifax.

They read a lot while traveling especially the news about the raging war.  Eastern newspapers had big war headlines, Mallie Hughes said of Europe, "I am glad I am going over there to shoot pucks instead of bullets".

As they finally reached the Halifax, Nova Scotia Habour, Stan wrote,

" Our long train journey was over...It was night but we could dimly see ships in the habour. One of the fellow-it was Hec Negrello- said, 'One of those tubs is ours for the next 8 days'".


No Substitute for Victory, pages 10-13

Lethbridge Herald, December 1950

No comments:

Post a Comment